A Wahlmünchnerin reader recently sent me this question. Here was my 'off the top of my head' answer:
- Maxvorstadt - Lots of students, foot traffic.
- Parts of Isarvorstadt (Röcklplatz, Glockenbach Viertel) Although these are becoming extremely pricey and considered by many as too trendy.
- Parts of Haidhausen (Pariserstr. or around Wörthstr.) - A pretty neighborhood which offers a lot: quick access to the airport, scenic/green streets lots of restaurants, shops and bars and a smattering of 'colorful characters' that make their way over from the nearby Ostbahnhof (keeps it 'real')
- Schwabing especially around Münchner Freiheit. Although I'd stay away parts of Felitzstrasse. Sometimes it feels like a trashy frat party around there on the weekend.
- Sendling - Up and coming. still a little quiet, but some friends of ours just moved here and as we were riding our bikes over the other night, I was reminded of what a great neighborhood it is.
Flickr Image from digital cat